As the weather warms up at last, and we are still self-isolating, it's more important than ever to be looking after yourself. We are collectively experiencing so much change in such a short period of time. You may feel a range of emotions all at once. You may feel exhausted, afraid and overwhelmed. You may feel grateful, while also grieving the very things you feel like you are missing out on. You may be struggling with not knowing what the future looks like.
Here at PURA, we want to remind you that we are in this together. We are all struggling in our own unique ways, and however you are processing this change, is okay. Be gentle with yourself as you move through this experience. You are doing the best that you can.
You may feel like all of a sudden you have an overwhelming amount of time. Time at home, time to think, time to cook, time to worry. Alternatively, you may feel like there isn’t enough time in a day. You may be trying to run your business all while caring for your family, educating your children and maintaining relationships with friends.
Regardless of how much time you have, being able to care for yourself through this process is incredibly important. Whether you have five minutes or an hour, finding ways to care for yourself will create space for understanding, compassion and peace.
Self care allows you to honour your needs, take care of others and show up where you need to in your life.
The beautiful and interesting thing about the act of self care is that it looks different to everyone. Self care could be:
- Going for a walk in nature.
- Staying in to watch your favourite Netflix show.
- Cooking a nourishing supper.
- Ordering in from a local restaurant.
- Daily meditation practice.
- Writing in your favourite journal.
- Taking your medication.
- Spending time looking at old pictures.
- Checking in with a loved one.
- Reading an uplifting book or listening to an interesting podcast.
- Listening to music that inspires you to dance or is an outlet for your feelings.
- Purging spaces in your home that need a culling.
- Making your favourite cookie recipe.
- Spending time tending to your plants.
- Moving your body in any way that feels good in the moment.
- Watching a movie that makes you laugh.
- Enjoying a long bath with your favourite essential oils and body products.
- Taking 5-10 deep slow breaths, counting to four on each inhale and exhale.
- Dry brushing your skin and then applying a nourishing cream or body oil.
- Taking extra time for your AM & PM skincare rituals.
- Giving yourself a tender hug or self-massage.
- Investing in a weighted blanket to help you sleep better and calm anxiety.
- Calling or FaceTiming a friend who brings you joy and inner peace.
- Allowing yourself to have a good cry.
- Saying kind things to yourself. Affirmations are powerful.
'I am safe. I am strong. I am loved.'
*There is no room for judgement when it comes to self care. Get curious about what makes you feel good, and trust that your body has the answer to what you need.
A Note From Our Founder
I hope you are doing well, and staying strong during this time. We have never felt our purpose more than now. Thank you for sharing your favourite PURA rituals with us on Instagram. We love when you tag us in your stories. It's such a treat to be able to see PURA in your homes, on your vanities and on your skin, especially during this time.
I'm also really enjoying the new hashtag: #isolationcreation, as so many people are taking this time to create some pretty wonderful art. Take a peak when you get a minute. It definitely inspires me, even if its just to admire. This is not the time to feel any pressure. I think we're all just doing our best. I'm finding each day is different, and I'm doing my best just to pause, breathe and appreciate the simple things that bring me joy and assurance that we are going to get through this. We will!
We miss seeing you in our flagship boutique, but we are so grateful for your online orders and for helping us give back during our recent 'Let's Give Back' Initiative to frontline healthcare workers at the Royal Alexandra Hospital.
Soon we'll be sharing another blog about how we as at team are individually taking care of ourselves with some of our most favourite PURA potions at home. Rituals that maybe you haven't thought of, so please stay tuned.
Stay well, safe & healthy.
How are you caring for yourself right now?
Stay tuned for a GIVEAWAY on our Instagram centred around your #selfcare.
Sending light & love,
The PURA Family
Written by Kalin Herbach, RD & Lane Edwards
Photos by Emily Schutz & Karmen Meyer
Styling by Justine Ulan & Lane Edwards
Linen Robe: LATU Women